Friday, July 8, 2011

Hostel Territory

Aaaaaaaaaand... we have arrived!  The getting into Paris and picking up the car was an adventure.  A four hour long adventure that included an RER (like the subway or the tube, underground transport kiddies) baptism by fire and driving through Paris.  Thank god for Mellissa.  My sweet peche poulet was nervous about exercising her french and moreso about driving in Paris, but she came through like a champ.  And, I have been able to purchase metro tickets and eat and drink wine and check into our hostel, so I say she's doing more than a bang up job. 

Hostel territory?  Oh right... we're staying at a hostel in Reims for the first few days.  We're right by an AMAZING park and I have a shower and a toilet in my room, so that's a lot of wins for the day.

Still battling a bit of exhaustion (funny how travel exhaustion is it's own brand of tired) and delirium, so here are a few bullet points and photos from the day.  Tomorrow we hit the champagne houses (Vueve, Moet which is Dom Perignon!) so stayed tuned.  K, today went a little something like this:
  • Standing on a street in Paris, Mellissa and Deanna were tending to some business, so I had my first moment to myself and I look up at the third floor of this apartment building and I see this lovely woman in a black and red dress standing on her balcony smoking.  It was a painting and a poem all at once.
  • On the way to the car rental place we had our first encounter with a sweet and helpful Parisian.  He stopped to give us directions... the whole time pointing with the two baguettes he had in his hands.  People here seem to carry baguettes everywhere, not even kidding.  I think I'm gonna like this place.
  • In the car Mel turns on the radio and the first song I hear?  So Danco Samba by Stan Getz.  One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite jazz men.  I think I'm gonna love this place.
  • And then it hit me... after a shower and a brief nap, we walked to dinner.  The streets were quiet and exactly what you see in movies and books, then, we turn a corner, and it was a bustling square of shops and restaurants, people everywhere, and the most amazing statue in the middle.  I fought back tears.  I'm really here.  I love this place.
Photographic evidence:

Touching down in France... NO. WAY.

Better pictures of this to come, I'm sure, but look... Paris!!!


And, Reims.  Clearly, I'm living in a postcard.


The angel in the square


We showered, now give us wine.

Merci!


Finally, one for the Sisty... my first "real" french fry


FIN... for today

1 comment: