Sunday, July 10, 2011

Something old, something Dizy, something Bouzy

Lessons learned for today:
  • Everything here is beautiful, nothing is frivolous.  Light posts, city halls, streets.  The French seem to be accutely aware of their aesthetics.  Everything is cared for.  It feels like an acknowledgement that what we see and live with every day affects our souls directly.  You can even taste this care for all things good... I have yet to see artificial sweetener anywhere.  Yogurt freaks me out and I only eat it because I'm told it's good for me, but I rarely enjoy it.  I've eaten yogurt for breakfast both mornings we've been here, and as I type this, I cannot wait to wake up and eat yogurt again.  The difference?  No aspartame.  I ordered a fountain soda today and on the side of the cup there was a representation of what your body looks like with and without too much soda.  Two little silhouetted figures with calorie counts next to them, one skinny, one fat.  And signs in the restaurant reminding you that too much fast food is bad for you.  Subtle reminders to be good to yourself.  If I take nothing back home with me, I want to take this... this reminder that what I see and hear and taste and smell and touch changes me, for better or for worse.  I get to decide.  I can create sanctuaries or cells.  I need more sanctuaries in my life.
  • Pay attention because you're bound to see something amazing.  Today I accidentally stumbled upon Dom Perignon's grave and a massive city entrance that was built in the 300s by the Romans.  Please read that again... "...that was built in the 300s by the Romans."  The 300s!  The Romans!  And there it was, just... out there.  Last night I also almost stumbled on to street puke.  Ah, yes, street puke, the universal symbol of indulgence and fun.  Like I said... PAY ATTENTION.
  • Champagne is spectacular, fantastic, delicious and lovely.  This was just a refresher, not a new lesson.
Ah yes, proof to both you, my friends, and myself, that I'm actually here (pictures are better than pinches):


The entrance to Dom Perignon's abbey, Abbey d'Hautvillers.  Built first in 650AD, destroyed numerous times in numerous battles and built for the last(ing) time by Dom in the mid-late 1600s.


The altar.  The church is small, but elegant and breathtaking.


And at the foot of the altar, Dom himself.

Our tour guide through Hautevillers, Stan the Gargoyle.  He's the least intimidating gargoyle in town so he's in charge of the office de tourisme.

Champagne anyone?


Don't mind if we do!


I'm your new mom!


Driving along, stumbled upon this humble abode.  Ummmm... this is someone's private residence.


And their moat?  I'm calling it their moat.


What's this?  Oh, this old thing?  This is the Porte de Mars... dates back to 3rd century AD.  It was the widest Roman arch.  That is until until that slut Agrippina rolled into town.  Hey-o!


And, we ended the day properly:

A little Dizy...




And a little Bouzy.

Stay tuned my pets... tomorrow we'll be visiting the country of Luxembourg.  Bourgda, bourgda!





No comments:

Post a Comment