Sunday, July 10, 2011

Today, I tasted the stars...

In short, I'm overwhelmed.  Today (yesterday actually, but I fell asleep when I started this post but to spare the confusion, I'm calling it 'today'... keep up) I walked in caves the Romans first built and that have been used now for nearly 300 years to make the world's finest champagne, I was in the champagne house of a widowed woman who chose success with a comet as her guide, because of a wrong turn I was able to walk through the vines whose fruit will be used to make the champagne that will be used to celebrate a stranger's future joy, maybe my own?  And I witnessed one of the most breathtaking sights I've ever seen that was created by men, both ancient and modern.

Here is what I saw, I only wish you were here to see it too:

My very own bottle of Dom... I can pick it up some time in the next 7-30 years.


These line the caves which go on and on, and were used to hold candles before they had electricty.  Did I mention the Romans started these caves... the ROMANS.

This barrel was at least as tall as I am.  Napoleon brought it over from Portugal for his good pal Moet.  It was filled with port.


Our Imperial tasting of Moet & Chandon


I'm hooooooome!


Why yes, that IS a chandelier made out of champagne glasses.


Au revoir Dom...

Bon jour Widow Clicquot...

Into the Veuve Clicquot caves...

Blah, blah, blah, tour, tour, let's drink...

 Au revoir for today champagne country...

To close the evening, we watched a light show projected onto the front of an 800 year old cathedral.  The experience cannot be matched.  I wanted to post some video, but it's not cooperating, I'll try again back in the states.  I can just tell you though, it was one of the singular most moving experiences of my life.

I began the day tasting stars, I ended it seeing stars.

Au revoir...





No comments:

Post a Comment